Self Limiting Beliefs
Self Care, it seems everyone is talking about it! Sadly, for some, it has become something else to add to the list of things we should be doing. These two words have become too closely associated with going to the spa or taking long baths that many people have started to say they don’t have the time or money to do it.
What is Self Care to me?
However, self care is about so much more than pampering yourself once in a while (which is good but it not the only form of self care!). It is about knowing what sets your soul on fire and then actually doing whatever that may be.
What sets your soul on fire? What is important to you? What makes you feel happy and content when you do it? The problem I find is that so many people can’t actually answer these questions without having to really take a step back to think about it. We seem to have lost touch with ourselves in the busyness of modern life that we have forgotten what makes us tick and before you know it you are following what everyone else is telling you is most important and not actually doing what is best for you.
It doesn’t have to be something extravagant or difficult to achieve, for me personally, it is doing anything in nature that makes me feel most alive. It is more about making time to do whatever makes you feel happy so you can refill your cup again.
Are your beliefs sabotaging you?
So why is everyone finding this difficult then? Well, it really has a lot to do with your feelings and beliefs towards yourself. If you feel that you don’t deserve happiness or care your subconscious mind will find any excuse under the sun for you to do something else other than what actually makes you feel happy. We often won’t even be consciously aware that we are doing this to ourselves, these decisions will just be made based on what you believe and you will continue to go around in circles wishing you could do more for yourself but not being able to bring yourself to do it.
One of the highest form of self care anyone can do is to check your beliefs towards yourself and get help getting rid of any that aren’t serving you. By doing this you will be able to start naturally doing the things that make you happy without consistently sabotaging yourself.
It really takes you consciously choosing to yourself, and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone in order to start bridging the gap between where you are and where you would like to be. What is holding you back from choosing yourself? For some, it is fear, the fear of facing ourselves and doing whatever is necessary for us to really live our lives.
Common beliefs that may hold you back
With this in mind and to give a helping hand, here are 5 common Limiting Beliefs that many people have that could be hold you back from giving yourself the care that you really do deserve:
- I’m not worthy – if you don’t feel like you are worthy of love and care you won’t give yourself love and care full stop. This belief has to go if you really want to start making yourself a priority;
- I need to put everyone else’s needs before mine – this is a big one as the majority of us will have formed this belief through what most societies teach us. I’m sure you have heard you can’t pour from an empty cup, but even hearing this won’t make a difference if you feel your needs have to come last and that you have to ensure everyone else is ok before you look after yourself;
- I don’t deserve to be happy – as mentioned before, if you don’t believe you deserve happiness, your subconscious mind will find ways to keep you unhappy. It is not doing this to be unkind, one of its main jobs is actually to serve you, but it is doing this with the information it has been programmed with;
- I don’t have time – You can make time for anything that is a priority in your life, if you don’t believe you are a priority you always won’t make time for yourself;
- I can’t afford it – you don’t have to have lots of money to give yourself care, this is an excuse we tell ourselves which will be linked to other beliefs around our self-worth.
So, if you have any of these beliefs, I hope this will explain why it may be hard for you to put yourself anywhere on the priority list. Just so you know, you do deserve love and happiness, you are worthy and you are enough. It is all good me telling you this, but how great would it be if you could truly believe this about yourself?
I hope you find the courage to choose yourself, and I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on any other beliefs you think may be holding you back with self care.